Staff Hunters is recruiting an Engineering Manager for a client in Southern Maine. The technical focus is electrical but this role manages the mechanical team–any experience with mechanical is highly desired.
Under the supervision of the General Manager and applying Lean tools, the Engineering Manager is responsible for the operations of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Customer Technical Support, and Production Support. The Engineering Manager has responsibility for setting policy and for relentlessly supporting and driving performance metrics from both the Engineering group and Production.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the activities of the company’s mechanical and electrical engineers, electrical technicians, Engineers, and other Engineering staff.
- Participates in the development of the annual operations plan/budget with goals and milestones that meet the goals of the strategic plan on an annual basis
- Collaborates with customer design, Purchasing, and Marketing teams to provide OEM solutions for their product requirements.
- Develops helps maintain intellectual property including patents, trademarks, etc, Provides Sales, Marketing, and Technical Services Departments with any required technical assistance and Customer Service for proposals
- Develops and documents engineering standards and specifications
- Prepares or approves all electrical product documentation
- Develops electrical/electronic schematics
- Oversees electrical designs to assure the accuracy of drawings and diagrams for assembly
- Is a resource for outsourcing all related parts and components
- Is a resource for preparing cost evaluations
- Communicates with manufacturing departments to interpret and revise both designs and work practices for continuous improvement, DFMA
- Reviews designs to assure conformity to NSF, CSA, TUV, and UL guidelines as well as any other appropriate governing or controlling agencies and special customer requirements
- Develops processes to relentlessly improve engineering/administrative and design throughput to meet deadlines
- Reviews Engineering Change Requests as required
- Provides value to our customers, uses Lean tools and concepts: identify and eliminate waste in all forms (scrap/rework, transportation, motion, waiting, inventory, overproduction, over-processing, and under-utilization of people).
- Uses systematic thinking by seeing processes from end to end and works to challenge the status quo to eliminate the root cause of problems.
- Assures proper staffing and ensures his/her staff meets schedules, Leads directs and professionally develops the team under his/her direction
- May host external auditor for standards/regulations, as applicable
- Performs other projects, tasks, and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS:
- Ability to innovate, Sales Orders process time in Engineering
- Change Requests (CR’s):
- Process time in Engineering
- Lead Time in Engineering
- Ability to complete the CR before the effectivity date of the CR
- Number of CR’s released for product improvement
- Engineering Requests via case calls (turnaround/lead time)
- Understanding and development of Intellectual property including patent, trademark, and trade secret development.
- B.S. Degree in Relevant Engineering discipline, a minimum of ten (10) years of experience as an Electrical Engineer plus ten (10) years’ experience as a technical manager required
- Mechanical design experience preferred
- Proven ability with intellectual property including reading and writing patents, understanding of trademarks, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers as well as at all levels of the company
- Experience with StageGATE methodology, Project Management, Proficiency in MS Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.