At Staff Hunters, we’re always on the lookout for ways to help our Candidates present their best talents and abilities. In this message, we’re helping you increase your accessibility to new connections and prospects with simple steps to maximize the impact of social media as it relates to your presence in the business world. We encourage you to utilize the tools readily available on the various social media platforms. Social media is prominent in today’s business world, and it’s important to learn how to leverage available platforms like this, to your benefit.
For this ‘how to’ session, we’ll discuss garnering recommendations on LinkedIn. An excellent resource for business networking, LinkedIn provides its users direct access to their peers and colleagues. What’s more, LinkedIn is designed to make leveraging those connections very simple, and is a useful resource when you’re seeking a new position. With connections and recommendations, you will utilize the platform to generate interest in your skills.
Log into your LinkedIn account and let’s get started:
Determine which connections will be most helpful to you and why.
- When it comes to something as important as your career, don’t leave anything up to chance. Think carefully about your connections, and why they’re a valuable business connection to you. Decide whom to ask for a LinkedIn recommendation of your skills. When your skills are recommended and acknowledged by your connections, you build on your credibility as a skilled professional, which helps you stand out from the masses. It also increases the likelihood of generating interest from hiring professionals. When building your presence on LinkedIn, a recommendation bears more weight than an endorsement.
Asking for a recommendation through LinkedIn:
- Find your picture and the “Me” tab at the top of any page on the LinkedIn website.
- From the drop-down menu, select “View Profile”.
- Once on your profile, find the blue bar at the top, left-hand side of your page (under your profile image) and select “Add profile section”.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Additional Information”, then choose, “Request a Recommendation”.
- Follow the steps as prompted.
- Visit the profile of the person you’d like a recommendation from.
- Under their picture, click the “More…” box.
- Choose “Request a Recommendation”.
Follow the steps as prompted.
Personalize your message!
- Be mindful in your approach and avoid using the generic message that LinkedIn provides for you. When asking someone to take time out of their day to endorse you, it’s important you take the time to personalize a thoughtful note along with your request.
Social media is a game-changer when it comes to expanding your network and growing your career, and at Staff Hunters, we encourage our candidates to highlight their industry-related associations. We’re helping you increase your accessibility to new connections and prospects with these simple steps and encourage you to utilize these tools to their maximum benefit!